Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Shahat and Soussa quick snapshots

A while back I was traveling through the green mountians, in Libya, with a friend and I managed to grab some photo's of two sites in Shahhat and Soussa ( here's a Google map link of their location, Soussa is directly North of Shahat ). The first set of pictures are from Soussa port and it depicts some of the ruins of the ancient greek city of Apollonia, large parts of which was destroyed and submerged under the sea by an earthquake in 365 AD. The main attraction is this old house in the picture below, which was carved either into a huge rock or into some, now non-existing, cliff side; but from the pictures its obvious there were no bricks. You can notice behind it some guys in an almost totally submerged building that hosts a number of underground rooms the doors of which you can notice if you click on the picture and zoom in. You might get a better view from the second picture.



Here I started to wade in with my jeans pulled up to my knee's, so you could get a view of the front door :P.


This is from inside the house looking towards the sea


This is me looking out through the front door, not much privacy eh ?


Here I climbed the roof and you can see the hole in the ceiling used to climb up. I also discovered that I'm not so young and fit as I used to be :P.


I took the following two from the top of the house, the first one is facing the sea and shows the walls surrounding the house's garden and the gateway/door .
The second one shows the left side of the port and place where I was standing when I took the first two pictures. ( just so you get an idea of the layout :P )



These two pictures are from the left side of the port from where the cars are above, and it looks like a submerged room that is used for swimming and diving, they refer to it as the 'Cleopatra pool' don't ask me why though .




After I finished up with my photo's in Soussa we went up the mountains to Shahhat to what is called the " Shahahat tourist resort" . Its basically a bunch of small house's at the top of a cliff with a park for children and a restraunt and coffee shop but it's close to all the archeological sites so its a good place to stay in. What really makes it special though is that both its restraunt and coffee shop are built into a set of caves in the side of the cliff. When we arrived there lunch was being served so I couldn't grab pictures of the restaurant; but I got pictures of the coffee shop which was empty at the time.
This is the parking lot with a traditional Libyan tent on the right side


This is the front door to the coffee shop.


The following two are of the reception area of the coffee shop ............




and this is the lounge ..... couldn't get a clear set of the TV area as there was a guy watching football ......... but you probably get the idea .




12 comments:

ibeebarbie said...

Salam PH,
What a great getaway. I want to be out there in the middle of nothing surrounded by water. I can only imagine how peaceful that felt. The other place you went to look wonderful as well. Was the temperature cooler in the coffee shop being that it was inside a cave?

Thank you so much for sharing these photos-----it's absolutely breathtaking.

PH said...

"Was the temperature cooler in the coffee shop being that it was inside a cave?
"


Yes it was much cooler, that's the cool thing about it, given that its usually hot in Libya being in a cave is like a huge plus ..... free air conditioning :P.

"Thank you so much for sharing these photos"

You're welcome, glad you liked them.

salaam

on the edge said...

These are really fantastic !!!!!! You took some great photos ! Libya is the most amazing place isn't it ? I can't understand people that think it is nothing but dessert .Love Cleo's pool . Thanks .

a_akak said...

Masha Allah great pictures and I have been told a lot about both shahaat & Soussa but I have not been there :( insha allah I will get the chance to explore my own country

PS: Did the cafe have irgeela (or sheesha)?

Fe Aman Allah

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics and the good coverage, this area as far east as Latrun is my favorite small paradise in all Libya. About the resort, I tried it once and found out that the rooms were not as good as the cave housing the coffee shop. I found the rainbow resort of Ras El Hilal much better maintained and being in a forest under the edge of the mountain, much more beautiful. Regards.

PH said...

@ on the edge :

"These are really fantastic !!!!!! You took some great photos !"

Thanks I 'm flattered I didn't think they were that good . :)

@ a_akak :

"insha allah I will get the chance to explore my own country"

Make sure you go with somebody from the region or you'll miss out on many of the hidden areas.

"PS: Did the cafe have irgeela (or sheesha)?"

I'm not really sure; but I think I saw some at the door. They might let you smoke it outside at night; but I doubt you can smoke in the cave ;).

@ gheriani :

"Thanks for the pics and the good coverage"

You're welcome :).

"I found the rainbow resort of Ras El Hilal much better maintained and being in a forest under the edge of the mountain, much more beautiful."

Well I didn't stay in this resort, only ate there; but like you my family thinks the rainbow resort is excellent as they stayed there as well.

salaam

Good Girl said...

Hi:
Amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. You are lucky for being there and I am proud that we went great steps forward in field of tourism. Marvelous.
I liked the idea of (cave cafe) and thanks ever so much for sharing us the nice views and beauiful pics.

gg.

PH said...

"thanks ever so much for sharing us the nice views and beauiful pics."

You're welcome glad you enjoyed them.

salaam

Anonymous said...

Well, those cave café pics sure are..... humblingly impressive? Or was is humblingly oppressive? Well, I guess they're kinda both.
You must feel like the roof is gonna drop onto your head while sitting there. :)

PH said...

"You must feel like the roof is gonna drop onto your head while sitting there."

Nah, I didn't get that feeling the ceiling isn't that low :P.

salaam

Anonymous said...

Salam PH
how are you bro
nice pics amazying Masha Allah

'Cleopatra pool' I've been once there they told me that a man done that for his daughter Cleopatra he was afraid from the sharkes there thats why he did it
الله اعلم
thanks for the Pics
fe aman Allah

PH said...

"'Cleopatra pool' I've been once there they told me that a man done that for his daughter Cleopatra he was afraid from the sharkes there thats why he did it
الله اعلم"

Really ? never heard that before but thanks for sharing it :).

"thanks for the Pics "

You're welcome and thanks for passing by ;)

salaam