Friday, December 14, 2007

Finally, Blogger is compatible with other blogging systems - Updated - Updated Again

On my previous post a discussion was brought up on the motives behind Blogger canceling the ability to link back to your blog when commenting. Two theories were thrown around, my initial was it being for security reasons and the other theory was that Google was trying to sideline other blogging systems and their users :-B .

Well yesterday I started to notice that a Blogger icon would appear beside a commenter's name, if he was using a Blogger id, later in the afternoon I noticed a drop down list below the commenting section allowing you to choose were you were signing in from (Google/Blogger, AOL, Wordpress, Live Journal, TypeKey ).

I signed into a Wordpress account I have ( for backup :P ) and found that I actually can comment with either one of my identities ( Blogger/Wordpress ) by simply switching between the different choices in the drop-down list, as long as I was signed into both. This is a great feature for non-blogger readers ( Rein, Melantrys ) from either Wordpress or Typepad or any other system; as they won't have to worry about their identities being forged and they won't have to create a new blogger account to comment on blogger either B-) .

Even though I'm not a great fan of large corporations and I do have my reservations on some of Google's privacy issues, but I have to admit this is Great ! <:-P

Update :

Well blogger has made a post explaining the premise behind its move to support OpenID and how it went about doing it. It also apologizes for "prematurely" disabling commentator link back support as quoted here :

"
The "Other" URL field

Right now, the only way to add a URL to your name when commenting is to sign your comment with OpenID. We apologize for removing the URL field from the comments form prematurely two weeks ago. That was a mistake on our part that came from launching OpenID support on Blogger in draft.

Ironically, our testing of OpenID, a feature that lets you use accounts from all over the web to comment on Blogger, made it appear that we were trying to force you into getting a Google Account. We regret this appearance, since we're strong supporters of OpenID and open web standards in general.

"


Update - 21/12/2007 :

Now you can add a URL of your website our blog to your nickname ............. so everything is back to normal :P.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

... or maybe some Google executive people read the post you are linking to... ;)

Either way, I am not on WP.com, so I'd either have to register my ID with some outside open ID server (yeah, right...) or install and run one on my own server (*gulp*).

Highlander said...

This is great news :) thanks for informing us about it PH -I would not have noticed it !

PH said...

@ Melantrys :

"... or maybe some Google executive people read the post you are linking to... ;)"

You think :-?

"ither way, I am not on WP.com, so I'd either have to register my ID with some outside open ID server (yeah, right...) or install and run one on my own server (*gulp*)."

There is an OpenID plugin you can install to your blog to support OpenID on it. Then you can create a free openID account on https://www.myopenid.com/ or https://claimid.com/register . Its a bit of work, but it seems to be becoming a standard ? Somebody else did it here too.

@ highlander :

Nice seeing you around :) you're welcome .

salaam

a_akak said...

its good to link all of them, but for me i am only on blogger or facebook

Fe Aman Allah

Anglo-Libyan said...

where would we be without you ya ph??

i never even noticed them until i read your post :o)

PH said...

Actually even blogger didn't post about it until after I made a post about it :>.

Unknown said...

sure they have noticed ur post ... hay ppl don't underestimate our great libyan blogger ... PH ... ;)

PH said...

thanks :">.

salaam

Anonymous said...

:-SS

Testing, testing....

<:-P

Ok, now it should also be possible to use a nickname with this.

I am quite sure I am Melantrys, and not melantrys.net. ;)

PH said...

@ Melantrys :

Mabrook <:-P .... So how did you do it ?

"I am quite sure I am Melantrys, and not melantrys.net. ;)"

Yes I experienced that too it provides a link to your blog/website instead of your name in the name section ~X( , don't know how to modify that though .... :-?

Anonymous said...

By installing my very own Open ID server on my server (with the help of a nerd to translate some of the instructions)

And I just found the line of code where you can add a nickname. :P

\:D/ <:-P \:D/

PH said...

Great !!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So what did I create my OpenID for?

lol

PH said...

It comes down to security and user authentication, it seems they are creating an internet wide user authentication system. Even when somebody tries to use your name as a nickname with a link to your website the openid icon won't come out so we can tell that its not necessarily you ;).

Anonymous said...

... or if Blogger is suffering one of its many glitches....

Yeah, I hear you; it certainly helps prove you're really you.