Saturday, September 8, 2007

Adding a Java/HTML script to your blog

Recently I noticed maya was having a problem adding a ticker from tickerfactory.com to her blog and I also noticed that rosebud added a website counter to her blog as a post, which would render it ineffective once that post was archived or if a reader accessed another post directly without going to the blog's main page. So I thought it would be best to make a post to address the issue of Adding HTML/Java scripts to a blog, if even small one.
If we were to take maya's ticker script as an example of a script we want to install on a blog, we would basically start by copying the script from the ticker webpage after customizing the ticker ( use CTRL+A to select the whole code and CTRL+C to copy it ).

Now after copying it from the ticker webpage we have to insert it into the blog . To do that we go to the Dashboard and pick "Layout" from the options presented, then we will be led to the "Page Elements" page as shown below.

In it we can see the blog's layout, from which you choose were you want to insert the ticker ( in our example ) and you click the "Add a Page Element" link at the top of that section, after which you will be presented with the following pop-up page.



Now all you have to do is click the "HTML/Java Script" "ADD TO BLOG" button and you will get an empty box in which you paste the previously copied code and then press the "SAVE CHANGES" button in the subsequent page and you should be done. If there is no problem with the script all should be well and in tip-top shape, and Maya should have her Birthday ticker going :P.

16 comments:

a_akak said...

i always said you had something to do with IT but you never admitted, so i think the last couple of posts are evidence :P

Thanks bro

Fe Aman Allah

PH said...

You're welcome a_akak, but I never denied or admitted :))))))))).

( still haven't :P )

salaam

Anonymous said...

salam
Just wanna say big Thanks for your help
But still gotta a Question I don't have that layout in my blog I know the dashboard page but there is no layout in it beside that Manages
so could you help me in this Ques

fe aman Allah

Highlander said...

PH you are always full of useful information and which is easy to grasp by the layman thank you !

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks
I upgraded my blog thanks alot
I lost my chatbox but I'll return it en sha Allah
Thanks alot again
Fe aman Allah

Lebeeya said...

Great stuff Guru :)

From reading this post and the previous ones, I have come to the conclusion that you started blogging with the objective of making life easier for your fellow bloggers.

Do you know any easier way to upload lots of pictures at once? If yes, please help the dumb.

PH said...

@ maya :

"Just wanna say big Thanks for your help "

Welcome to my blog and you're welcome :).

@ Highlander :

You're welcome as well :P.

@ Lebeeya :

"I have come to the conclusion that you started blogging with the objective of making life easier for your fellow bloggers. "

I didn't actually, but writing technical posts is easier than anything else for me and more peacful :P.

"Do you know any easier way to upload lots of pictures at once?"

I don't know what you mean exactly so I may have misread your question :), but in blogger you can upload a maximum of 5 pictures at once.

You know the "Browse" button you press to upload a picture above it you'll find a blue link with "Add another image" press that repeatedly before pressing the "Upload Image" button and you get the option to choose 5 images at once, even though you have to browse for them 5 times but thats the best blogger offers :P.

If you're using photobucket its the same except photobucket gives you the option to add a maximum of 20 photos at once, just press the "add more" button at the bottom of the last "Browse" box :).

salaam

Anonymous said...

oki I know you gonna scream
but I have one more Question about page element
I added it and when I felt happy for it I found some thing missing in it
(Add page element) that one I didn't find it
I find
edit your navbar
edit your blog posts
edit your blog archive
edit your navbar

well my Question from where I can got that (Add page element)

Sorry for bothering
till the next time Fe aman Allah

PH said...

@ maya :

You know how edit your blog posts is in the middle there is something on your right hand, where you find edit blog archives and edit your profile right ? on the top of that there is "Add a Page Element" its clear in the first picture I posted for you, its above the "edit about me" its an empty box a bit paler than the other boxes :).

salaam

Rose Bud said...

You are so cool! I was sitting in the airport trying to figure it out from my mother. I work so much I don't have very much extra time for internet. I will send her a copy of this post. She is new to bloggin and think she would love this.

Rose Bud said...

PS How do you add blogger's linsk to the side bar?

PH said...

"PS How do you add blogger's linsk to the side bar?"

Hi rosebud welcome to my blog :D.
As for your question, you follow the same steps as before for the HTML/Java script example except instead of clicking the "HTML/Java Script" "ADD TO BLOG" button, click the "Link List" "ADD TO BLOG" button. This will give you a dialog page which has many options among them the order of the links, the maximum number of links, if you want to limit them, and the most important part is the part in which you enter a link and attach a name to the website/blog you are linking to, which is at the bottom.
Every time you want to add a link you just press "edit" instead of "add" to edit the linked list and add new links.

This is a more detailed description of the process with images to guide you, if my description isn't clear.

salaam

Lebeeya said...

Thanks ph... I didnt know there was an option in blogger where I could upload up to 5 pictures at once! Thanks :) :) :)

PH said...

You're welcome ..... does that mean we will be getting more pictures now ? :D.

salaam

Rose Bud said...

OK I added a counter to the sie bar with HTML code. I was not using any of the standard formats and couldn't see the sections you were refering too. After some investigation I found and reformatted the page. Now it real easy for me to add things as well as links.

PH said...

@ rosebud :

Thats good your blog looks much better now you must have been using a classic template thats why it was harder.

salaam